In the spirit of the upcoming ‘Twilight‘ movie, I would like to talk about the undead: vampires. More precisely, emotional vampires. Are there people in your life who just sap your emotional energy once they walk in the door? Do you feel totally spent after interacting with some people? There are vampires among us, and I am actually more frightened about sitting next to one at a dinner party than meeting Count Dracula himself.
My colleague Eli Finkel at Northwestern University conducted a very important series of studies on what he calls high-maintenance interactions. In essence, these studies are about social coordination, and how the lack of social coordination can deplete our ability to exert self-control.
Self-control is critical to everyday life. With high self-control, we can limit food temptations, complete difficult tasks at work, and, resist the urge to smack a co-worker when he/she is being a bit too condescending.
- Well, I Guess I’m High Maintenance, Bitch (seducemejaz.wordpress.com)
- Dracula: Fact and Fiction (costumediscounters.com)
- The Many Looks of Vampires (wholesalecostumeclub.com)
- I like hot Vampires so bite me! (jomakessix.wordpress.com)
- The Domino Effect: When You Absorb The Negative Energy Of The World (pinkdivamamacita.wordpress.com)
- Listen: Vampire Weekend’s Hilarious Cover of Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ (rollingstone.com)
- No Shoes, No Shirt, No Credit – Queendom.com’s New Study Reveals the… (prweb.com)
- Avengers Assemble S01 E05: Blood Feud (biffbampop.com)