Things looked promising for rural geeks this time last year. Engadget reported here:
“As we’ve seen in the decidedly botched digital TV transition, nothing involving government and technology is ever straightforward. With that in mind, let us present to you the most germane portion of the recently passed economic stimulus package with respect to gadgets and the overall nerd kingdom: $7.2 billion. That amount is what President Obama has set aside for “broadband grant and loan programs,” though things get confusing right from the start. $4.7 billion will be distributed through a program run by the Commerce Department, while $2.5 billion is handed out by the Agriculture Department. In theory, at least, that latter chunk would go specifically to rural and underserved areas, but having one goal with two masters just seems like trouble waiting to happen. Oh, and then there’s the mandate to the FCC that instructs it to create (within one year, mind you) a “national broadband plan to ensure that everyone in the US has broadband access.” Granted, these aren’t entirely unheard of — Britain just did the same sort of thing a few weeks ago, and South Korea’s already aiming at 1Gbps for all. We appreciate that the money’s there, but only time will tell if leads to anything meaningful.” Stimulus bill seeks plan to ensure all Americans have broadband access — Engadget
One year later? Yet another major policy failure on the part of the Obama administration! In the next couple of posts I’m going talk about the sad state of broadband outside of major and minor metros, how many communities are failing to see the importance of broadband for business development, and what solutions I have found as a webworker living in a 100 year old farmhouse in Wisconsin. Stay tuned!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Is Stimulus Money Being Spent Too Fast? (abcnews.go.com)
- Broadband stimulus bids ‘overwhelming’ (money.cnn.com)
- Agriculture Department awarding $310 million in stimulus funding for broadband projects (taragana.com)
- FCC seeks delay to US broadband plan (theregister.co.uk)
- FCC seeks extension for national broadband plan (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Agency misses deadline on broadband plan to Congress (robbiz1978.blogspot.com)
- FCC Releases Report On U.S. Broadband (lockergnome.com)
- FCC asks us all: what, exactly, is broadband? (arstechnica.com)
- New year, new policy push for universal broadband (news.cnet.com)
You must be logged in to post a comment.